Congrats on your brand-new braces! In case, you are searching for what not to eat with braces; you stumbled on the right article!
In general, sugary, sticky, chewy, hard, and crunchy foods must not get ingested while you got braces. These food items risk breaking wires and brackets, which can result in more extended treatment period and unscheduled appointments.
It is your long-term smile we are talking. We know each of the worst things not to eat for you! Keep reading, and you’ll find out.
Table of contents
What Can You Not Eat with Braces?
A few of your preferred foods might get covered in the below list, but do not panic. We included the main kinds of foods not to eat with braces.
A number of the problems are due to foods such as:
Some food is just too hard to bite safely with your braces. The snacks in the list below are also the most obsessive kind. Thus you will have to call all of the self-discipline you have.
- Carrots (unless cut up, uncooked)
- Corn on the Cob (cut corn off cob before consuming)
- Crisp Taco Shells
- Hard Meat and Beef Jerky
- Hard Cheese
- Jolly Ranchers
- Jaw Breakers
- Pizza Crusts
- Whole Apples (unless cut up into pieces)
- Whole Pears
These are things that are certain to get caught with your braces. It’ll be a nightmare to remove, leading to damage and sometimes pain too.
- Bubble Gum
- Candy Bars
- Fruit Roll-ups
- Gummy Bears
- Hard Rolls
- Jelly Beans
- Sticky Candy
- Sugar Babies/Sugar Daddies
- Tootsie Rolls
Foods full of sugar content must be limited. These foods can result in tooth decay, white spots in the teeth, and swollen gums.
- Sugar Drinks
Getting Braces – Tips & Tricks
- The fastest means to break or bend your brace is by having wrong foods. Also, beware of a pencil or pen chewing habits and nail-biting, because these can harm your braces.
- When you snap a bracket or pop apart a wire you should make a consultation, then go and have it fixed.
- You may believe that a few chewy sweets are alright to eat since they are not likely to break your hardware in the mouth. Nevertheless, even supposing these food items are mild on your braces, for the time being, they can cause damage slowly over time.
- Use good sense regarding most food. You should try to chew foods using the back molars, instead of the front teeth. As a best practice, always slice into bite-sized smaller pieces. Also, we suggest softening veggies by boiling or steaming them.
How Long Do Braces Hurt After Tightening?
Once braces positioned in the teeth, it is evident for the mouth to remain sore for around 1-3 days. To ease your pain, we advise dissolving a single teaspoon of table salt in 8 ounces of water. Gargle and swish this solution on your teeth for merely a couple minutes (don’t swallow saltwater).
Some discomfort in the lips or cheeks is common. The only time you might find it hard to consume is if your mouth is tender following getting your braces fitted or a new appliance tightened. Everybody experiences pain differently, but assured your mouth will not hurt forever thus it will worth it ultimately!
How to Keep Teeth Clean with Braces?
You will see it is tougher to keep the teeth sparkling with braces. Particularly, in difficult to get into places which adds to the likelihood of staining and tooth decay while you have your braces.
Food gathers around your braces and in between your mouth, and may only remove by flossing and brushing. If it is impossible, rinse the mouth using water to eliminate the food particles and acids. The cleaner you can keep all the things, the more efficient your hardware will become.
Eating with braces do not have to be confusing. Now you understand what to not eat with having a mouth brace, you can select from many braces-friendly snacks.
In case, you have clear retainers or Invisalign, remember they should remove to drink or eat anything other than water to prevent tooth decay.
We hope you have enjoyed our guide to the worst foods. Got questions about what not to eat with braces? Ask us in the comments box below.
Happy healthy and beautiful smile!